The hall entered the property market sometime after 1941. In 1943 it was bought by Isaac Hammond, a local landowner and market gardener, upon the occasion of his golden wedding anniversary.

He and his wife, Augusta, presented the hall to Fareham Urban District Council in trust, in perpetuity for the benefit of the local community. Then re-titled the Hammond Memorial Hall, during the war it was used as a first aid and ARP post, for the issue of food ration books and for social events. Upstairs was a canteen for servicemen billeted in the village and, after the war, a ‘lean to’ extension housed the village library until 1974, when the books were moved to their present home in the village.

Between 1988 and 1991, there was much argument about the repair and upkeep of the Hammond Memorial Hall. Finally it was deemed too expensive to refurbish, at around £250,000 (to be raised locally), and was demolished in 1997.

In 2007-8, a plan to build a replacement Hammond Memorial Hall was considered, but eventually abandoned. Money granted by Fareham Borough Council in support of this plan was then diverted to refurbish and modernise the old Chapel wing of Crofton Community Centre. This work took 5 months and, upon completion in 2009, the building was reopened and named the Hammond wing. The dedication plaque may be seen at the internal entrance to the wing.


Registered Address: 76 Crofton Lane, Hill Head, Fareham, PO14 3QE
 Tel: 01329 317923  Email: hammondmemorialhalltrust@yahoo.co.uk

Community Web Kit provided free by BT
Cookie Policy | Charity Number: 301960